Thursday, April 23, 2009

Service Industry...

I was thinking about becoming a waiter recently. If money runs short before I get my act up, I may possibly end up as a waiter for a few months or so to get some additional cash so that I might eat!!!

Yea... I'm not really thinking of pursuing that as my long term career. However, as mentioned above, a guy's gotta eat so I might have to do that to feed myself. It isn't really that bad. Money won't be great. But there's alot of freedom and a lot less stress. Anyway, I know thats gonna be a part time stint along my path to finding my dreams. Everyday will just be a new day... If a bad customer comes along... well... I probably won't be seeing him tomorrow anyway. Totally different life from a corporate world. If you don't like someone... well chances are you'll see him/her everyday in office.

Well the day hasn't come for me to go down this route yet. I hope I don't have to do this. But I'm prepared, just in case.

Analysis
Pros:
Relatively flexible timetable.
Simple job.
Bad experiences don't often repeat themselves.
Bad customer's don't keep coming back everyday. But bad colleagues might still exist.
Can quit anytime.
Tips from customers.

Cons:
Not much money.
Not much career advancement. (Short term for me so its not too serious.)
Some people might look down on waiters.

5 comments:

  1. You'd be surprised about Waiting tables. Tips can often be taken by the management, bad customers most definately come back (some of the worst are regulars).
    It can be a very complicated job. In a good restaurant you have to know all the ingredients and cooking techniques, table numbers, wine knowledge etc and deal with drinken idiots.

    Anyway, have fun! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for the wonderful story. You didn't stumble on the hard circumstances, and don't mourn over the temporal hardships. Your self confidence inspires - I wish you the best.

    ReplyDelete
  3. hey so its not so much money because of the lack of responsbility! i enjoyed reading your blog. i hope you find what you really want to do in life. i am going through the same boat as you mate :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Now that's a strategic planning ahead of time. Plan B that is.
    Harry@Job Duties

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for sharing this information..
    John..
    jobspert.com

    ReplyDelete