Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Bravery, Foolishness and Everything In-Between...

Now, I believe everyone has a choice of what they can do. However, there is a fine line between bravery and foolishness. Leaving without a job is not just for anyone. Being a prudent person, I have put down 2 criteria which one should NOT leave their jobs without knowing what they will be doing next.

1) Debt
Debt of any sorts is a liability. If you have a home loan to service, car loan, study loan, etc. I do not recommend leaving your current paying job for an unknown future. Should things turn out wrong, the bank/financial institution will come after you and you might lose your home or become bankrupt, etc. Thus, please be very careful with debt.

2) Family
Family members who need care are also another thing which should hold one back. If you have kids who need your support, elderly/ill parents who are not financially independent, or any other family matter which might require stable financial income, such as getting married, planning on starting a family, I again do not suggest leaving for the unknown.

Both these factors do not mean that I discourage those from leaving their jobs and finding their true callings. However, these 2 factors will be an obstacle which one must overcome. Be it settling the debt before venturing out, or knowing what the next step is before leaving your current job. Such things should be thought out and planned well for people who have such commitments.

As for me, I do not have any of these commitments. Thus, with minimal savings, I decided to leave for the unknown and explore the adventure of what life has in store. Slowly but surely, this journey has taken me on a trip to understanding myself and what I believe in.

No comments:

Post a Comment